Friday, December 29, 2006

Cleaning up

I wish that I had the forsight to take a picture of my "sewing room" before I started cleaning it up. I have come to the realization that I have too much, too much food, too much junk, too much fabric and perhaps even too much yarn for what I will be able to accomplish in my lifetime. Somehow I missed the line for too much money, but I do admit to adequate supply.

About 7-10 years ago, I reduced my fabric from fashion and quilting fabric to just quilting fabric and again this year before Christmas, I have reduced the volume of my Quilting fabric. I simply have too.much. UFO's that will never be completed, kits purchased that are still in the wrappers with the price tag on them, bundles of fabric with the pattern in the same bag, just waiting for attention.

With a toddler, a 6 year old, a 16 year old, a husband and a full time job, I simply don't have the time. I realized back this summer that I hadn't quilted in about a year and I was unlikely to quilt much in the coming year (DS#2 is 16 months old) and the "sewing room" was threatening to overflow, I felt as if I were drowning in "stuff" - great stuff none the less, but drowning. I e-mailed my quilting friends and told them that I was cleaning out and that if they wanted anything, they had best claim it, or I could make no promises. Gretchen came and bless her heart, not only did she take a bit of the stuff, she stole 2 UFO's that needed to be pieced together and finished the tops. (THANK YOU GRETCHEN), both were projects near and dear to my heart and now they are patiently waiting for their turn at the quilter. Before Christmas as we were preparing for the annual Christmas Eve feast, DS#1 helped me haul stuff to the attic and I took down the 2nd sewing machine, collapsed the quilting table, sent yet another box and check to Janette for finishing and a box to her for charity quilts and we have renamed the room, "The Media Room". We dragged in 2 rockers and are in the market for a cheap couch of some sort that we have a line on. I feel like it is the end of a chapter in my life. At one time, I was a QUILTER, no doubt about it, but now....knitting has captured my heart, it is so portable and fills the waiting gaps. I will still quilt and I hope that my quilting friends will not abandon me, I can't see why I can't hang with them and knit while they quilt, but we'll see.

No comments: