Sunday, October 01, 2006

I'm on a roll


Yesterday I posted about finishing MG's Wonderful Wallaby and today I get to post about my finished STR socks and the story behind them...It started innocently enough, http://www.bluemoonfiberarts.com/ started a Socks that Rock Club (STR) and I of course had to join. The first yarn was this sock yarn, I don't remember the color...Jungle something perhaps? I started knitting socks and I knit, and I knit and I knit. They are on Size 1's something like 68 stitches, I chose the ribbing pattern that is K2, P2 for 1 round and then straight knit the next round because I'm lazy and don't like to pearl. I liked the socks but they were taking forever and they weren't going to fit me, they would fit my mother who has trouble wearing shoes and thus needs woollen socks to wear with her Birks in the winter, (It snows here in Illinois), so any whoooo, I love my mom and I don't mind knitting her socks, eventhough she has a size 10 foot. She appreciates them and I am glad that I can comfort her. Anyway, I was about to the heel flap on sock #2 (sock #1 was done) when I used sock #1 to measure the length (very scientific) and as I set #1 down, I thought, I had better be careful where I put this sock as I would hate to mis-place it. That was Friday night, by Sunday night, I had lost sock #1, I called the restaurants I ate in between Friday and Sunday, I scoured the parking lots that I had visited, I stripped the car(s), cleaned the house (now you know I was desperate), no sock...I was almost suicidal, these socks took me forever, it was the club yarn, how was I going to get enough for a THIRD sock! I didn't know what to do, but vetoed burning the sock in the driveway in a fit of anger, I doggedly continued to knit on the 2nd sock. I was telling some of my knitting homies this story about a month later and my DD MG says, "Oh, that other sock, I threw it behind the couch to keep it away from DS#3". I ran to the living room, heaved the couch from the wall and there it lay, my missing sock...Only 1 small problem, there was a cut in the ribbing at the top...wonder how that got there, $10 that DD MG cut the yarn and threw the sock behind the couch to hide the evidence, but I really didn't care, my sock was back. I begged some additional yarn from Blue Moon, and one night while the kiddies slept, I carefully unravelled under the snip, picked up the stitches and re-knit the top 1/2" of the sock, last night I executed the Elizabeth Zimmerman, sewn bind off (very simple, very stretchy, I recommend it) and voila, the socks are done....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to try that STR stuff and haven't had a chance to yet, so I hope you get it worked out.

Happy Birthday though, you October 2 birthday girl. Best wishes to you!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, Angie! May your new year be filled with knitting and love.

Stephanie... said...

Happy Birthday Angie. Hope it was a good one. Also I love that pink sweater.

Looming Looney said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGIE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!.

LIVE IT UP, GET WILD!. HAVE FUN! Here's to many years of wonderful Birthdays.

sad thing about the sock, just shamefull :-)

textilejunkie said...

Love the socks! I have some that look very simular, guess we are in the same club. So good to hear that it all worked out well - kids they are always up to something :-)

Love the Wallaby also. I have that pattern (it's such a great read) just have not found the time yet to start it. It looks so good though on your daughter!

Oh and what I came here for is to wish you happy birthday! Hope it was a great one for you.